Saturday, October 6, 2012

"I'm going to stay at the top till I'm done with my work"

This is the last email I will send in the MTC! It's crazy to think that I'll be in Nebraska on Tuesday. Yesterday was what is called In-field Orientation which was just an entire day of learning more missionary stuff, how to find people to teach, how to work with members when we teach, what to expect in our first weeks in the field. It's all really exciting, which is an emotion I never thought I'd feel about Nebraska. Yesterday was our P-day but infield took that up so it got moved to today. Of course general conference is today General Conference so I get to do all my laundry and letter writing and all the other stuff I have to do before I leave between sessions. It'll be cool to watch general conference now that I'm more separated from the distracting things of the world than I have ever been. I'll get a lot more from hearing the words of the prophets this time around, plus I won't be watching from a couch with a blanket so it'll be easier to stay awake. 


I'm going to miss all the other Elders I got to know while I'm here, I met so many cool ones. Forgive me if I say the same things a lot when I email, my memory isn't so good. One that I think I forgot to mention was this elder I saw while walking the temple grounds I thought I recognized from somewhere. I started talking to him and it turns out he is the star of that Youtube video with the Mormon kid who just got his wisdom teeth out and was rambling about the church while on the surgery drugs. Also a little while before I got here my teachers taught someone you might know, an Elder David Archuleta heading to Chile, the teacher told us he was really humble and really kind and spoke really highly of him.

 During the infield one of the speakers told a story of how he was playing in the park with his family and he tried to throw a football over a tall pine tree but it got stuck in the top. He tried sending his seven year old son up the tree but he got up a ways and got scared so the father went up the tree after him and got him to go back down. The father climbed up to the top of the tree but couldn't find the ball. The tree was swaying a lot and he was a little worried and he thought of going back down. He was scratched and covered in sap but he realized he was already up at the top of the tree so he might as well stay up there till he found the ball. He compared the story to us being on missions. We are already out on our missions, way out of our comfort zones. What we are trying to find is more important than a ball, it's people to teach the gospel of Jesus Christ. It is hard and it does take a little courage to stay in the tree or to just go up to people in the street or to knock on doors but I'm already at the top of the tree, I'm going to stay at the top till I'm done with my work.

 Thank you everybody for your support and for sending me letters and email, those are pretty awesome, keep them coming. I loved the big batch of letters from my family that I got the other day, I'll see if i can find the time to write back individually. I've got to go finish up some laundry and things before conference starts but I'll send another email during my first P-day in the field. Till next time, Elder Harrison.

No comments:

Post a Comment